Re: footwear and squished parts

BMcCrary27@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/8/99 5:56:50 PM Pacific Standard Time, Knaptyme@aol.com
> writes:
>
> << I've become politically correct and now wear riding tennis shoes.>>
>
> This isn't a matter of political correctness, it's really a matter of rider
> safety.
> BMc

Y'know, I thought I would mention one of the pitfalls about wearing
regular tennies versus shoes that protect the ankle, based on what
happened to me about two weeks ago.  Normally I always wear boots doing
chores around the barn, and high-ankled riding/running shoes while
riding, but during this ONE episode (of course), I was getting over a
nasty bout of food poisoning courtesy of the local burger stand, wasn't
feeling well and just threw on some regular low-backed tennies.  I
needed to lead one horse from her corral to the arena for turnout and
sure enough, she tripped coming out, and in trying to catch herself,
threw her head and one leg forward and that very large hoof nailed me
full force right in the achille's tendon.  Lemme tell ya, I've had
multiple fractures and lacerations in my time, and none of them even
come close to a "bowed tendon".  Had this happened wearing my regular
boots or riding shoes, I'm sure I would have still been bruised, but as
the tendon had only a sock to protect it, as a result, the tendon sheath
is damaged enough that I'm grounded for some time to come (and lucky it
isn't permanant).  This happened just doing the daily chores, but it was
exactly the type of thing that *could* have happened while jogging along
the trail with a horse beside or behind you (and yes, I know all about
proper training of an equine running buddy, but nevertheless, sh*t
happens).

Anyway, I guess this comes under the same heading as wearing a helmet
and undoubtedly there'll now be a deluge of posts from people who ride
barefoot and have never had a problem, but as for me, you will NEVER
catch me around any horse again without the proper footwear.  Not to
mention I sure have alot more respect for the stoicism of horses who go
through this same type of injury and don't do all the screaming and
whining that my husband has had to hear from me! ;-)

Anyway, just another tidbit for the pot.

Susan G