Re: psyllium/feeding

> Ridecampers, need some help on this one........

> I would love to feed my horses more than two times a day but I am only home in
> the mornings and afternoons.  How do some of you accomplish feeding more that
> twice a day, I know you are all busy people.........pay someone...buy feeders
> that run on timers.....etc?????

Feed them more at each feeding, lots of grass or grain hay.  The horse's
stomach only holds a gallon or so, so once they're full, they'll stop
for awhile, then later go back to munching.

 And geeezzz, one of my horses would eat
> himself sick, any ideas on that one?

Just don't feed him unlimited amounts of anything that will cause
intestinal upset.  No grain or other concentrates, just plenty of grass
hay (alfalfa is a legume and also too rich for free feeding, IMO).  Look
at it this way---if someone sat you down with an enormous bowl of salad
and told you to eat yourself sick, could you do it?  Heck, no.  You
might eat a bunch of it at first, but after awhile you'd just get full
and tired of munching and go find something else to do for awhile.  Your
horse may eat a ton of hay at first, which won't hurt him in the least,
and after they realize that no one is going to take all that lovely hay
away from them, they'll stop gobbling and just spend all day munching,
which is, as Cheryl says, much better for them both physically and
mentally.

Good luck!

Susan G