Re: RC: RE: RE: RE: Fw: Drugs

> In my personal opinion, if a horse needs treatment with a prohibited
> substance then that horse, even with out the substance is not fit to enter a
> ride. The necessity of the drug indicates the welfare of the horse is
> compromised and this, in my mind precludes safe competition.

I agree with that to a point, but you are ignoring the important value of
Time.  If a horse needs treatment now, then that horse is not fit to enter
a ride this week ... next week?  Next month?  Next August?  Even if the
vet says the horse is perfectly sound and ready to compete, the likelihood
of previously-administered drugs testing positive may preclude that horse
from competing again ... but for how long?

I wouldn't mind in the least if published guidelines were exceedingly
strict -- tell me 8 or 12 weeks rest after a single dose of bute and I'll
happily comply. What displeases me about the current situation is that I
am unable to make an *informed* and *rational* decision because the facts
necessary to make that decision are unavailable to me.

> This entire discussion about drugs and other proscribed substances and
> treatments is not the welfare of the horse but the eagerness and yes, even
> greed of the riders. I admit that is a very strong statement but if you look
> deeply you will find some truth.

No, I beg to differ.  I can hardly be described as "eager" and "greedy" as
a competitor -- if you look at my record, you'll see I've only done 4
rides in nearly 2 years and I finished dead last on each completion and
pulled my horse twice when the vet cleared us to continue onto the last
loop but *I* thought he shouldn't continue.

This entire discussion is not being conducted by eager and/or greedy
riders, but by sincerely concerned riders who are unable to make an
informed decision because the facts necessary to make that decision are
not available.  Whether a horse was given bute for an injury 2 months ago,
or a horse is given a supplement containing yucca, or a horse is
tranquilized for dental work ... any of them may test positive for illegal
drug use, no?  Or maybe not.  The point is -- we don't know.

I believe that it is the duty of the sport organization conducting
competitions and setting rules to supply the facts necessary for the
participant to make decisions enabling him/her to abide by the rules.
Those facts are currently unavailable.

> Really, the entire issue is can we compete without the aid of drugs and I
> say YES if you want to and will consider the welfare of the horse.

Ever?  That's the whole point -- no drugs EVER? Must we decline the use of
all drugs on all horses expected to compete at any point in the future?

> I strongly feel that the intense
> competitive attitude partaken by some riders is the overriding (no pun
> intended) factor causing the necessity for treatment and the desire to use,
> but not be penalized for, palliative substances.

That may be true of some individuals, but I believe you are unfairly
painting us all with the same tar brush.  *This* discussion taking place
right now is about providing facts and guidelines for use by the general
population, and perhaps newbies like myself in particular, so that we may
make informed decisions.

Like it or not, technology is forcing reassessment of the current drug
policy.

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL
AERC # M18819 & H27310