RE: RE: RE: Fw: Drugs

Glenda:

In my personal opinion, if a horse needs treatment with a prohibited
substance then that horse, even with out the substance is not fit to enter a
ride. The necessity of the drug indicates the welfare of the horse is
compromised and this, in my mind precludes safe competition.

This entire discussion about drugs and other proscribed substances and
treatments is not the welfare of the horse but the eagerness and yes, even
greed of the riders. I admit that is a very strong statement but if you look
deeply you will find some truth.

You stated <<< Lakota put his leg through a wire mesh fence less than 4
weeks before Million Pines.  It wasn't badly injured, but it did swell
somewhat and there were a few moderately-deep scratches.  My regular vet
was out of town, and another vet was coming to the barn that day to see
some other horses, so I asked the barnowner to have this vet take a look
and see whether we should put him on antibiotic to prevent infection on
the lower leg scratches. This vet did so, but he also prescribed 3 days of
bute and dosed Lakota himself on the spot.  I wasn't there (had a business
appt elsewhere) and couldn't stop it.  We didn't give Lakota the other 2
days of bute because I didn't believe he needed it (he wasn't limping at
all and the swelling was very minor).>>>

You felt the Vet did not know what might be best for the horse or was it you
had an overwhelming desire to compete, albeit in the correct manner, within
the AERC Rules. The welfare of the horse was compromised in this case I
believe. Yes, the horse did not suffer in this instance BUT!!!

Really, the entire issue is can we compete without the aid of drugs and I
say YES if you want to and will consider the welfare of the horse.
Conversely, I will say NO, if you have the need to compete on a definitive
schedule with a strict goal and timetable and do not place the utmost
importance on the welfare of the horse. I strongly feel that the intense
competitive attitude partaken by some riders is the overriding (no pun
intended) factor causing the necessity for treatment and the desire to use,
but not be penalized for, palliative substances.

But, then again there have been elixirs, rubs, dosages, and snake oil for
the remedy of horse ills for a long time. There is a large industry out
there purporting to offer the maximum in go fast, cure all substances.

This is one mans opinion and I am sure it will not sway the world's
reasoning.

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID

> "I will compete with a horse that is not influenced by substances of any
> type other than normal food and life support."

That's certainly an ideal to which we all attain, but face it -- horses
get sick and injured, and often recover quicker with some pharmaceutical
assistance.  Do you decline the use of any drugs whatsoever in treating
your horses for injury or illness?  I believe the most gaping hole in the
AERC's current drug policy is when a horse can be returned to competition
after being treated for an illness or injury.

Case in point:  Lakota put his leg through a wire mesh fence less than 4
weeks before Million Pines.  It wasn't badly injured, but it did swell
somewhat and there were a few moderately-deep scratches.  My regular vet
was out of town, and another vet was coming to the barn that day to see
some other horses, so I asked the barnowner to have this vet take a look
and see whether we should put him on antibiotic to prevent infection on
the lower leg scratches. This vet did so, but he also prescribed 3 days of
bute and dosed Lakota himself on the spot.  I wasn't there (had a business
appt elsewhere) and couldn't stop it.  We didn't give Lakota the other 2
days of bute because I didn't believe he needed it (he wasn't limping at
all and the swelling was very minor).

I spent the next 3 weeks agonizing over whether I could take him to
Million Pines.  The injury was not nearly severe enough to prevent his
doing the ride, but I couldn't get any hard information from anyone on
whether that one dose of bute would test positive.  I would have been
absolutely *mortified* if he had tested positive and I'd been banned from
the sport for 6 months or more for drug use ... yet I had absolutely no
way to make a reasonable decision on the matter, because there are no
published guidelines.  Was 4 weeks enough?  Would 6 weeks be enough?  How
about 3 months?  Should I just kill the whole '99 ride season to be on the
safe side?

While I realize that publishing specific withdrawal dates may be construed
by some as a "green light" for use of drugs to affect performance, I
believe that the utter lack of any guideline whatsoever is a disservice to
individuals like myself who have no desire to chemically enhance the
performance of their horses, who want to compete whenever possible, and
who want to give their horses the best medical treatment available when
the need arises, without fear that we will be publicly castigated and
penalized for our inability to inform ourselves as to drug withdrawal
times.

Surely there is a happy medium that can be reached?

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL
AERC # M18819 & H27310
SE Region