Re: RC: Training and standing to be mounted

Deanna German wrote:

> [...]

I consider that last sentence to be the essence of training! We make
these contracts with our animals... and they put in a lot of fine print
when you let them!

If I have a horse that won't stand, I teach them to stand on a totally
loose line while I walk around them... very hard to describe but the
technique I use is to basically shake the rope hard when they as much as
offer to move a foot. If I'm consistent it works. If I "forget" and let
them misbehave, it stops working.

For mounting, if I'm having a problem, I decide to train on mounting on
every training ride for as long as it takes to get it right until it's
done to my satisfaction consistently. I raise myself up in the stirrup
slowly and don't throw my leg over, then lower myself slowing and do it
again and again until the horse is so bored they stand. Then I go
through it throwing my foot over! When they stand quietly for a
repetition or two, I ride off. That is the reward.

I keep a feel on the inside rein, with the horses nose bent very
slightly towards me, and look between their ears, not over the saddle,
as I mount.

I ***hate*** mounting from the ground even though I'm strong, so will
try it from a truck bumper!!! the word is spelled L-A-Z-Y!!!

> BTW, I train with treats and praise. My horse and the horses I ride are voice trained. Is that "natural"?
> Whatever. It works.

It's natural for me!

 -- Linda

--