Training and standing to be mounted

I don't recall seeing post, but this along with the "natural horsemanship" stuff has prompted me to post a
reply. This is definitely NOT a silly question.

April Lee said,

> If you're riding with a saddle, I'd check for saddle fit.  Make sure
> nothing's pinching him; and check for a too tight girth.  Also, check for
> back soreness...
>
> If nothing pain-related shows up, I'd go for retraining him.  Work with his
> ground manners.  Make sure he leads well, ties well, stands well.

I agree with the above. If nothing is causing the horse pain, make sure your horse understands what the
word STAND means. It means "put all 4 feet on the ground and keep 'em there." No compromises.

I ride lots of different horses (I have generous friends) as I wait for my filly to mature. I have found
that if you don't insist that the horse STAND when you mount, the horse gets the leadership edge in your
little "herd" of two. Remember, if you don't take charge, the horse will. A fellow boarder friend of mine
got bucked off of her recently acquired horse just after mounting, I believe, because she didn't insist
that the horse STAND before she mounted. (She came off onto a fence and got pretty banged up.)

Even my coming 4 year-old knows what I mean when I say STAND. It's a command that is very helpful in lots
of situations (wound bandaging and cleaning, farrier work, mucking out her stall with her in it).

BTW, I train with treats and praise. My horse and the horses I ride are voice trained. Is that "natural"?
Whatever. It works. I carry a crop too. If the horse knows why it's in your hand (i.e. has experienced
contact with it at some point in time), he probably will behave and you won't have to use it.

Deanna