Re: RC: To Silicone or not to Silicone, that is the question.

My farrier husband tells me a horse does not sweat through the sole of
the foot.  The silicone has a mild reaction to the frog but as long as
the horse has a healthy frog and sole to begin with, it does not damage
it.  If you are using plastic pads, you use silicone.  If you are using
leather pads, you use pine tar and oakum.  Never use silicone with
leather because it causes a chemical reaction which will cause problems.
We just pulled and reset my gelding's wedge pads (plastic) yesterday and
his frog and sole are in terrific shape.  He is finally growing some
heel and gaining some angle of his own.  In the meantime, he moves much
better with the pads...as he gains some angle, I want to try an aluminum
shoe with a wedge to it.  This is not a permanent solution for my horse
but we do have horses that are ouchy all the time and my husband has put
on pads for people with no adverse effects to the horse.  I imagine if
left too long (we reset in 4 weeks but could go longer I think) and worn
to the point that dirt and crap are getting in there with the silicone,
it would be detrimental to the sole and frog. As I have mentioned before
though, make sure you get lots of it in there, even if it is a mess. We
had very few grains of sand in one foot and absolutely none in the
other!!  As for panties, I don't think my dear gelding would think that
is funny!!  :)  Even if I do!
Maggie (the farrier's wife)