Re: RC: Control

In a message dated 4/29/99 5:49:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tobytrot@bigfoot.com writes:

<< OK, nobody's jumped on this yet, so I'll throw in my $.02.
 	1)  I try to get up early so saddling, etc is not rushed--try to move
 slowly and calmly to not let my horse pick up on any 'bad vibes'.
 	2)  I start warming up well before the start of the ride; walking,
 jogging, etc like everybody else--but I try to avoid the crowd.  Then, a
 few minutes before the start I do some variation on the following:  I start
 to ride AWAY from the start line (and hopefully the crowd of fast
 starters), still warming up--ie walking, jogging, circles, etc.  No
 difference except that I am deliberately moving away from the start line.
 About the time the ride starts, I want to be on the far side of camp.  Then
 I ride back towards the start the same way, maybe mostly jogging, try for
 the odd circle--and go right out on the trail with no interruption in this
 routine.  The idea is for the horse not to know that he has 'started', (a
 seamless transition between warmup and ride, if that makes sense?).  Keep
 the rhythm, try to keep your own feelings of excitement under control,
 don't get stopped or stuck with a bunch of fidgeting, excited animals.
 This tends to work for me, when nothing else has! Terre

The sanest start to a ride that I have ever experienced, both my husband and
I mounted on two known lunatics, occurred last fall.  We employed most of the
tricks listed above, plus the two mile controlled start on paved roads.  The
pavement was unavoidable for ride management, and I for one was extremely
grateful for it, as it gave the whole herd a chance to start sanely and
safely.  By the time we reached the dirt trails, the horses were warmed up
and ready to go.  They moved smoothly into a good working trot without the
usual hysteria.  I'd go back to that ride in a minute!  Wouldn't it be
wonderful if all rides had a nice quiet controlled start for about 2 miles?
Or a least one mile.

BMc