NATRC & AERC Benefits

From: Myron & Sue Flagg <bzdgulch@ecis.com>
To: trailriding@cwa.com
Subject: CTR: NATRC & AERC Benefits
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 21:00:53 -0700

At 11:03 AM 4/26/99 , Linda Toups wrote:
>It is wonderful to hear someone else thinks both organizations can be of
>great benefit to each other.  I just find it so sad that so many on both
>sides will just as soon jump down your throat at the mere mention of the
>other.  There's so much fun and learning to both!!  Uh, oh.... will that
>last sentence get me in trouble?

	Why would it get you in trouble?  I have to agree with Linda and
Sylvia.
There are fun aspects of both disciplines.  I had a couple of funny
experiences on the 30-mile AERC ride I did last weekend.  I started a few
minutes after everyone else had left.  My horse was delightful.  We
passed
several riders just moseying along at a fast walk (their horses were
jigging, leaping in the air, etc.)  We arrived at the vet check at 9+
miles
in less than 1 1/2 hours (okay we did some trotting, but not a lot).
After
the vet check we trotted the flats and walked the hills.  Somewhere
between
the 1st and 2nd vet checks I had a couple of riders catch up with me.  I
offered trail.  They declined.  They were glad to have a horse that
walked
that their horses could plug in behind and follow.  One gal was on an
Arab
that usually does 50 milers.  The other was on a Paso that had been
trying
to keep up with her friend on the Arab and wasn't the type of horse to do
that.  The Arab ended up going by a little while later (and was very
unhappy to leave his friends), and the gal on the Paso followed me to the
next vet check.  Jane vetted through immediately with a 48/20.  The Paso
was 64/whatever, and vet suggested she stay at the vet check, let her
rest,
etc., so I went on.  The Paso was able to finish the ride.

	My long winded point on all this is that while we were moseying
along I
started talking to this gal about NATRC.  She wasn't even aware of it,
and
she was on her first endurance ride.  She thinks NATRC sounds like much
more her speed.  She's in her 30s with a 16 year old horse.  She likes to
ride along and look at the scenery.  After riding along with me and
learning about NATRC, she said she'd like to try the Mt. Quarry NATRC
ride
in June.  I hope to see her there!

	The other oddball thing I observed (haven't done an endurance
ride in a
few years) was that all of the riders were very polite, asking for trail,
etc.  One even offered to stay when I was dismounted so I could get back
on.  I declined and she asked if I was sure.  I said "I usually do NATRC
and my horse would be fine."  She commented, "Those NATRC horses are
always
so well mannered."

	So how do we promote this to the endurance riders?  I know there
are many
riders who try endurance the first time with a friend because endurance
is
all they've heard of.  I've talked to many like the lady I rode with this
weekend who prefer to go slower and would love the competitive trail
riding
challenge.  I realize it's fun to go whatever speed you choose and not
have
to worry about a judge hiding in the bushes, but I'm a "To Finish is to
Win" sort of rider, too.  I could have finished last weekend's ride way
faster, but the grass looked good, and Jane and I were having a wonderful
time :-)  There was no need to hurry!

			Sue in Region 1

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]