Horse in a manger

Help!! My horse has decided that climbing in and out of his feed manger in the
trailer is a good way to express frustration. I am about to tear my hair out
or his, if I can get a handful.
The problem began with pawing in the trailer when I stopped. I didn't think
too much of it and put on front boots to protect his legs and tied him us
shorter to make it hard for him to paw. Then he discovered how to lift himself
up and get his feet into the feeder. The first time freaked me out. The second
time I got mad and ignored him until he lifted himself out and things settled
down. And this weekend he jumped in the feeder whenever I stopped. slammed
around and then lifted himself out only to repeat the procedure. He still has
not hurt his legs, thanks to good pads (now in shreds) and good leg wraps
(still intact).
Today, faced with a six hour haul home, I tied him up short, cross-tied him so
he couldn't get his head up to rear and watched the little sucker heave his
legs up past his nose into the feeder. I confess I lost it. i took the drop
and beat his legs and yelled till he got down and then every time he picked up
a foot i cracked him one. I had to smack him when I was standing there. That
worked until i moved out of sight. Then I had to run back to yell and thump
the trailer. That worked until I slammed the camper door, then we had the
whole mess again until i spanked him and he stood. Ditto when i slammed the
truck door and then again when I started the truck. He finally stood when I
slammed all the doors  and waited so we took off. He stood all the way home
and is safe, sound and out in the pasture -  and  I am trying to think of a
more constructive, more permanent way to cure this problem.
Would hobbles help???  I think the problem starts when he paws, gets more and
more excited, the feet go higher and whamo he is up in the feeder. Could I
hobble him in the arena where it would be safe for him to figure out how
hobbles work and then tie him up with the hobbles  (he tends to paw if he is
left unattended and tied) and then work him into the trailer ? Any better
suggestions? I really don't think I want to hide in the corner with a whip for
the rest of my life - or his!!!
He came to me from a beginner with terrible ground manners and has learned to
stand four footed and pretty still when I am present. What do I need to do
with this all too smart - too dumb beast that I love???

Terry and Shahin the magnificent idiot savant.