Re: RC: RC: "Weighty issue"

Lif Strand wrote:

> Truman Prevatt wrote:
>
> > If "weight is not a factor", then the distribution of the top 10 as far as weight
> > division will mirror the distribution in the entire ride.  That is as far as
> > weight divisions go, if there were 25% HW riders in a ride, then you would find
> > on the average 25% HW's in the top 10.
>
>  Well, now, Truman, I'm not sure that it would be the case that if there were 25% of
> HW riders in a ride that you'd expect to find 25% of top 10 to be HW.  First you'd
> have to decide if it was likely that 100% of the HW riders were trying to get to top
> 10.  I think the true test would be if you took a number of equally matched horses,
> put varying weight of riders on their backs, all of whom are motivated to get to the
> top 10, THEN determined what the ratios of entrants to top 10 placer weights was.
> Lif

Or 100% of all the FW's, LW's and MW's were trying to get into the top 10.  The null
hypothesis  proposed to be teseted is that "weight doesn't matter" in the out come of
the top 10 as measured by the outcome of the rides.

I absolutely agree a lot of interesting experiments could be properly designed and
performed.  There has been some data taken in the past, but there was little attention
to the proper design of experiment in those cases.  While the collection of raw data is
good, care needs to be taken in the interperation of such.

I would love to design such experiments and try to make some sense of the results.
This, however,would be a fairly large task. It would require a large population of
horses, rides performed in all types of terrian, in all types of climatic conditions.
Most importantly it would require a significant amount of funding - which I doubt will
ever be available.

So all we have to argue about is the actual ride results and raw data collected a
scattered rides.

Cheers
Truman

--
Truman Prevatt
Brooksville, FL

Mystic "The Horse from Hell" Storm with one on the way
Rocket a.k.a. Mr. Misty
Jordy a.k.a. Bridger (when he is good)
Danson Flame - Hot Dog I'm healed and ready to go.

http://www.mrsl.com