Re: RC: Fwd: RC: "Weighty issue"

In a message dated 4/20/99 8:37:56 AM Pacific Daylight Time, SandyDSA@aol.com
writes:

<< Please understand, no disrespect intended here, and certainly I understand
 this issue, having been on both sides, mostly the SHORT side :). But to
start
 weighing in horses as well as riders....where will it end? We CHOOSE to ride
 the horses we do. I wouldn't expect to do well in polo with my horses, but
 they ARE nice show and endurance horses. The system does not in itself favor
 anyone in particualr; howveer, it DOES award the horses best suited to teh
 sport. >>

Do I understand this thread correctly?  That someone is taking into
consideration the weight of the horse in BC judging?  I've never heard of
this before.  Have I missed something along the way?
My personal opinion is to drop weight divisons entirely!  I realize a horse
is supposed to be disadvantaged by carrying a heavy rider rather than a light
one, but I've seen a small (14.2, 850#) horse carry a light heavyweight rider
to a 2nd place (2nd only by a squeek).  I feel it is a rider's choice to pick
a horse that will carry his weight if the rider wishes to be very competitive.
I also feel that a lot of a horse's ability to finish in top position is in
that horse's head, and the rider's.  This sport could be simplified by
dropping the weight divisions.  Of course more divisons means more awards
(happy riders, unhappy AERC bank account).
Let the horse compete on his own merit.  If a rider weighs 250# w/tack, then
ride a horse that can carry 250# w/tack!
Realize here that I'm a mathimatically challenged person.  I'm also prepared
to take whatever flack may come my way.  My husband certainly doesn't agree
with me, even though he was the one who rode my little horse to that 2nd
place.
It's just that the more AERC tries to make all riders happy, the less it is
able to do so.

The above opinions are mine and in no way are meant to reflect the opinions
or policy of AERC.

Barbara McCrary