snakes ~~~~~"

I've always considered the copperhead a greater threat than the rattler
as it has no built in warning device. All too easy to step on or
surprise a snake - that's why we were taught as kids to never put our
hands or feet where we couldn't look first, and stay out of tall grass
and rocky areas. For the most part, snakes want to see us even LESS than
we want to see them, and if given the opportunity they will slither
away.  The only snake I ever had to kill was one that was sunning itself
near a pond my cousin and I were fishing.  We had spotted the snake on
walk around the pond to get to our fishing spot, and gave it a wide
berth. Not concerned about it at all until we noticed  that the farm
dogs kept tramping back and forth in that same area. So out of concern
for the safety of the dogs we decided to shoot the snake, a medium size
copperhead.  My cousin did the shooting, taking the head off with a
single shot. I wanted to show the snake to my brothers, so I carried it
back to the farm. We were about a half mile away from the pond, and I
was carrying the dead snake by its tail, dangling the headless end. I
felt it jerk and begin to writhe in my hand and I dropped it and jumped
back screaming. My cousin laughed, teased me for being afraid of a
headless snake. Then he explained it was only nerves, sometimes chickens
will do that too after the head is gone. I felt better, but would not
pick up that snake again - we left it lay in the cow pasture.

Susan