Re: RC: another pain

I wonder if you are suffering from Morton's Neuroma.  I had this problem some
years ago.  The nerves that run between the toes develop nodules and pressure
on the ball of the foot causes excruciating pain.  To me it felt like someone
had wrapped something tightly around the base of the 4th toe (the next to
smallest toe) and it then became partially numb but with fiery burning.  It
was as if someone had driven a red hot nail into the toe.  I finally had
outpatient surgery done with local anesthesia; the orthopedist excised the
nodule, the nerves partially regenerated, and now I have some lack of feeling
on the insides of the 3rd and 4th toes (no problem).  It took about 3 years
after the surgery for the pain to disappear completely and I could ride and
hike long distances again.  E-Z Ride stirrups are a must for me, good fitting
footwear essential.  I cannot wear anything that is too tight over the end of
the 4th toe (such as pointy toed high heel shoes).  But now, 12 years later,
I have no trouble if I watch what I wear on my feet.  Before I had the
surgery, even walking barefoot across floors was very painful, and I could
feel the nodule as I walked.  Dancing caused great pain, as well.  As soon as
I got off my feet or as soon as I got my feet out of the stirrups, the pain
would disappear quickly.  It's the pressure that causes the trouble in the
first place.  Bicyclists also have this problem.

Barbara McCrary