Re: RC: Arab or TWH

> <I have seen a lot of Arabs that
> that have the heart and drive to do endurance but not the leg or foot to do
> the work. They need a lot more slow conditioning to build up their legs to do
> a 50 mile ride than a gaited breed. Consider the amount of stress that a
> gaited horses legs are put under in a 20 minute class at a rack with the long
> feet and weights these horses contend with. I do not like what I see in the
> shows but I have to marvel at the fact that these horses legs and minds
> endure it.  I think that the average TWH or SBH will do just fine and can do
> it carrying a heavy weight. I APPLAUD THE HEART of the ARAB horse but admire
> the legs and feet of a gaited horse.>

I read your post with interest...as this is what I have seen happen to the Arabian
horse over the years of halter 'flash' without substance almost destroy the breed
I love. Big money put the emphasis on the wrong thing and forgot the toughest,
best horse for LD that was ever created.....and we now are paying the price.
Those that did not make the 'halter' cut were dumped on an unknowing public who
went on to reproduce in unknowing, uncaring hands.  Before you put ALL Arabians
into the 'weedy, spindly-legged' catagory, go look at some solid CMK or other
performance bred Arabians horses that were bred on as they were intended to
be...with little attention paid to giraffe necks with tiny throatlatches (so much
for drinkers of the wind), flat hips (in the pursuit of flat croups) and unsound
feet and legs and the pursuit of height.  There are programs out there that are
producing the horse for the job...but it is by design...not by chance...you may
find one in a back yard.....but be ready to do a lot of searching...and then hope
that the horse was raised right..nutritionally and mentally.  It all counts.

I am not flaming you....I am mostly agreeing with you ...

Other bloodlines, I know are working...just commenting on the horses I have known
and studied and I am talking about CONSISTENTLY working-- not an occasional
outcrop.    .

Melanie Johnson