Re: RC: Arab or TWH

Lif
Tennesse is not all that flat, at least it wasn't last time I drove through
it. It was a coal mining state and the Walkers were bred as doing horse to
pull implements as well as cover the Estates. If you read American history,
during  the civil war the gaited horses showed a lot more endurance than the
thoroughbreds. I own an Arab stallion as well as a Saddlebred stallion. If I
had to pick between the breeds I would choose the Saddlebred. I believe that
the cross is often better than either breed. I have seen a lot of Arabs that
that have the heart and drive to do endurance but not the leg or foot to do
the work. They need a lot more slow conditioning to build up their legs to do
a 50 mile ride than a gaited breed. Consider the amount of stress that a
gaited horses legs are put under in a 20 minute class at a rack with the long
feet and weights these horses contend with. I do not like what I see in the
shows but I have to marvel at the fact that these horses legs and minds
endure it.  I think that the average TWH or SBH will do just fine and can do
it carrying a heavy weight. I APPLAUD THE HEART of the ARAB horse but admire
the legs and feet of a gaited horse.

I do not want to put down Arabian horses, but I think that often other breeds
are not encouraged to participate because they are thought of as show horses.
It was only 15 years ago when Arabs were being marketed as living works of
art. They are beautiful they are also a lot more than a living work of art
they are tough horses. TWH and SBH are a lot more than a show horse as well.

I dabble at endurance, yet I can put my Saddlebred horses in a ride and
expect to top ten the ride and probably get a best conditioned. I have been
doing it for 9 years and have been pulled from only one ride in which I had a
1 hour lead on my nearest competitor @ mile 93. I have pulled my horse myself
twice, once because he knotted up and once because he stepped in a badger
hole at a gallop and did a flip. He passed the next vet check but I choose
not to carry on to be on the safe side.

My daughter Pony clubbed with my wife's Saddlebred endurance mount, who also
pulls our sleigh in the winter. This horse was ridden 70 miles as a 3 year
old (NOT AT An ER). She is 13 and is still sound and as willing a horse as
any Arab to have the lead. The difference being that they are incredibly
smooth to ride.

Last year at the Region 17 IAHA the vets were surprised that my
Saddlebred/Arab was barefoot. He went through the ride barefoot and took BC.
I believe he was the only barefoot horse there. He may of gotten his heart
from his Arab blood but he got his feet from the Saddlebred.

So I think that there are other breeds that can do the sport, look at the
Orlov Trotters. They show a lot of the same strengths as the gaited breeds.

To look at it another way. Ask yourself what is the most common injury to end
an endurance career for an Arab horse. In my experience it normally has been
suspensory injury. I have seen some very promising horses that just did not
have the front end to absorb the impact of the sustained distance carrying a
rider. A smoother riding horse is both easier on the rider as well a himself
as he does not have to suffer from the rider bouncing on his back.

Before you guys all flame me , I do like Arabs or I would not have an Arab
stallion. But like any breed they have some great qualities and some weakness.

Try a gaited horse you may like them , I have tried an Arab, I bought him.

Jerald

Sandhaven Saddlebreds