Re: RC: Partial Hoof Avulsion/Shoeing help

Linda,

Sorry to hear about the problem, but glad it is under control.  I use Al
egg bars on Jordy's front.  My farrier convienced me to go from steel to AL
about a year ago.  The steels are heavy which means bigger nails.  You can
use smaller nails on AL which might be a benefit in your case.  I cannot
get a reset out of the AL.  Jordy tends to wear the hoof side of the shoe
to the point it can't be reshod.  That might be a function of sand getting
between the hoof and shoe, just don't know.

My farrier sugges flat wear studs to get extra wear on hard ground.  He
will place two wear studs in the front, one on each side of the shoe just
behind the wear plate in the shoe and two in the back, one on each side in
front of the heel.  I've done this once when I was going to ride on hard
ground and it worked fine to minimize the wear on the AL.

Some years ago a rider from FL did the OD 50 in AL shoes all around.  So it
can be done.

Truman

--
Truman Prevatt
Brooksville, FL

Mystic "The Horse from Hell" Storm with one on the way
Rocket a.k.a. Mr. Misty
Jordy a.k.a. Bridger (when he is good)
Danson Flame - Hot Dog I'm healed and ready to go.

http://www.mrsl.com