Partial Hoof Avulsion/Shoeing help

In early February, Rocket suffered an abcess that "graveled" (aka it
ruptured at the coronet band and drained) on a back foot, lateral side,
from behind the last nailhole on the shoe to the end of the heel.  The
hoof wall is detached from the coronet band there, with some new horn
starting to grow down.

When the injury was fresh, it looked as though we could see lateral
cartilage!  He finished a 3 week course of Trimethoprim Sulfa, and we
keep the defect clean and dry.

The farrier plans to reshoe him with bar shoes on Saturday to add extra
support to his rear foot's heel, trim/dremmel away the flap of dead hoof
wall, and fill the area with a medicated poly fill to protect it from
accumulating debris in there.  Both the farrier & vet feel we could
start light work under saddle after this.  We're looking forward to this
- maybe stimulate a little more hoof growth!

Here's where I need some help:

My farrier is talking about using aluminum egg bar shoes on both back
feet since they are lighter than steel.  He seems concerned that the
heavier steel shoes would be a "problem", but I'm not clear what problem
this might be.  (Rocket doesn't forge or interfere in back when normally
shod.)  I'm concerned that the aluminum shoes won't last 6 weeks.  We
live in WV - rocks and some gravel or occasional macadam roads are the
order of the day.  Any suggestions?  Experience with aluminum shoes?  Do
the nail holes ream out with aluminum shoes?  Are the steel bar shoes
THAT much heavier?  Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV