Re: RC: Herbal Supplements

In a message dated 4/11/99 9:43:23 AM Pacific Daylight Time, lspinal1@pdq.net
writes:

<< I have started my horse (a 9 yr. old arab gelding) on herbal supplements.
He seems to remain under stress consistently and his hide was very dry. It
was recommended to put him on a vitamin and stress relieving program. I'm
adding powder herbal supplements (one teaspoon) to his grain twice a day and
he is responding very nicely. His coat has drastically improved, no dryness
and its shiny again. He is also less stressed out and has quit nipping at me,
stands quietly while being groomed (actually seems to enjoy it now) and is
minding well during riding. This is all quite a turn around for him. I was
told that his negative behaviors may be stress/anxiety related and I'm
beginning to believe it.

 Has anyone else out there used herbal supplements? Are there any dangers to
herbal supplementing horses?

Physician's Desk Reference now has an Herbal Medicines book out. I'd advise
everyone to buy it. What you'll find is that there is no magic in
herbs--you're dealing with essentially the same chemicals (saponins, tannins,
etc.) that are found in many medicines--except that these chemicals are not
purified. You're dealing with the same kinds of actions--antiinflammatory,
stomach-settling, pain reduction, psychological influencing--as prescription
and over-the-counter medicines, except, again, these actions are not targeted
by accurate formulation.

The "benefits" are these: no drug testing procedures for most of the
variations of compounds found in these mixtures, no drug licensing, no
prescriptions necessary, some efficacy. The negatives are: impurities,
possible undocumented negative interactions, diminished targeted effect,
unknown side-effects due to limited research, unknown efficacy due to lack of
research.

While I am the last to argue against the use of effective nutrients and
quasi-drugs, I do think the users are responsible for knowing what they are
actually feeding and what the possible consequences are. The PDR book will go
a long way toward providing that knowledge.

ti