RE: Dog Debate

Wow, Hot topic! I have not brought dogs to rides, but lets look at this issue
from a different point of view.  The woman who travels alone.
I live rather isolated in the country and have my dogs as robbery preventives.
They have done the job for 23 years.  For many women who drive long distances
their dog is more than just a companion.  That dog is their protection, their

Could we develop a dog policy which would protect others from dogs, while
allowing well behaved dogs to accompany their master for the purposes of
comfort as well as the guard duty they perform?

Lynge Simoni
San Jose

[Karen Sullivan]  Hi Lynge and ridecamp.  This is an important point, and I have to admit I have felt safer driving, trail riding, and jogging with a good-size dog.  I have wondered if the gal that was attacked and killed by the mountain lion in the sierra foothills would have been alerted or protected if she had run with a dog......I know trails in my county I would like to hike, but won't because dogs are banned.  I realize the safety in numbers when hiking, but also hate to be restricted to depending on other people.  It is a valid concern. But as far as travelling,  I if  someone pulls you over and waves a gun in your face, I doubt your dog is going to be much of a deterent.

On the other hand, here are a few more thoughts for ridecamp.......I have been to rides with dogs tearing around through the vet-in area, and have seen dogs shut in vehicles and horse trailers in the hot, blazing sun. I have even seen dogs on leash in the vet line, hot and panting.  At Tevis last year, someone was dragging a puppy around at the Foresthill vet check, oblivious to the fact the poor puppy was exhausted and hot.  To me, this is cruelty.

I am really surprised at the number of people that would sooner stay at home than attend a ride where dogs are banned.  And, how many people complain there is nobody to care for them. Well folks, that is why there are boarding kennels and vets. Yes, it can be expensive,and yes, I would sooner take my dog with me. But I can't imagine NOT going on a fun ride or trip because I could not find a place for my dog!  And, I am as goofy about our little pug than anyone is about their dog.  But, I have found a loving boarding place, and I know while I am gone, my dog will have food, water, shade or heat, and when I return, that dog will be safe and sound.  If I took him to a ride, I KNOW he would be stressed, hot, lonely, etc.  If you are riding all day, or doing a 50, how long is your dog alone, anyway?  How do you know how hot it is getting in the trailer?  How do you know if your dog is barking or not?

I can't imagine anyone's life allowing them to bring their dog on every business trip, vacation or outing

Oh well, donning flame suit.

Karen

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-