Fwd: RC: Sportsmanship and Etiquette

In a message dated 3/23/99 6:59:30 AM Pacific Standard Time,
flemmerl@rcbhsc.wvu.edu writes:

<< 4.	Wait for other horses in the group to finish drinking before racing
 off.  You <don't really> gain all that much time!  You previous training
 will win your placing - not speeding away!  If you must leave others who
 are drinking or sponging, ask them if it will disturb them before
 leaving.  Walk out, then pick up speed as you are leaving so the other
 horses don't want to follow ASAP.
 At times it is necessary to leave before the group, i.e., when an in-season
mare is squatting and peeing at my stallion who is trying his BEST to to
behave. In THAT case, we choose to walk quietly away and don't pick up a pace
until we are well out of sight.
 5.	If your horse has threatened to kick before, train him not to kick
 and mark him with a red ribbon to warn folks of the potential if he's
 crowded.
 While we don't own any kickers, I would not think to punish my horse for
taking a swipe at a horse who slams into our rear end - this caveat goes BOTH
ways, and could be combined into one - all parties keep at LEAST a horse's
distance between regardless of gender. we choose to red flag the front and
back of our stallion, not because he KICKS, but because this seems to be the
only way to keep at least SOME folk from allowing their horses to get up close
and personal, something which we never allow ANY of our horses to do. Allowing
2 unacquainted horses to breathe the same space is just plain idiotic. Horses
have to know one another before they can be even remotely trusted not to
strike or squeal or kick.
 6.	If you ride a kicker, point his butt away from riders if they
 politely ask to pass.
 We do indeed do this - so it is then up to the other riders to stay off of
our rear end. Any horse is a potential kicker - and tailgating is a sure way
to create one.
 7.	If you have a mare in season, don't let her get under the noses of
 every gelding or stallion in the ride.
 THANK YOU! While some stallions are problems - and they are EASILY identified
well before the start time - most, especially Arabians, are quite gentle and
sensible - so there is an equal and respondent obligation on the part of
others to not TAUNT him. Indeed, ithis caveta also belongs with 'give 'em all
their space' caveat.

 8.	If you have a stallion, mark him with yellow so that the rest of know
 what he is without looking for that "optional" equipment.
 We do - we have - we will continue to - and too often it makes no difference.
It is too common for other riders to comment that it is "our problem' to stay
away from them! Personally I feel EQUALLY as obligated when riding a mare,
since we travel quite well with oru stallion in a 2 horse with our mares, IN
SEASON, and ride together routinely. But NOT all stallions tolerate this and
so that fact must be respected.
 9.	Stallion handlers should respect the other riders' safety, and the
 other riders should respect the stallion's space.  Neither group has any
 "priority" over the other - just mutual respect.  If any horse needs
 "special space", then they aren't ready to be there in "polite company".
 ABSOLUTELY - as we were made painfully aware at a SW ide a few years ago
where a stallion was being not just ALLOEWD but encouraged to rea nad spin and
scream in the line up for the pre ride check - all while our old mare stood
directly in front of him! We couldn't move any further without gettin out of
line entirely, and at the point where this jerk of a handler - and I use THAT
term loosely - allowed his boy to slam into the back of OUR stallion - who was
sleeping in line ahead of our mare - I gave this dolt what-for, and FINALLY he
left the line. People like that DO give stallions a bad name.
 10.	Stay out of the entry to P&R gates unless you are ready to enter.
 It's ok to stand nearby while bringing your horse down, but let others
 pass who are ready.ditto!

 14.	If you have extra and somebody else has none of "XX", share!Oh, and it
FEELS so good to knwo you have lent a hand. Indeed, the day ALWAYS comes when
you NEED a hand, like when my riding tights got soaked overnight sittin in the
window of our camper - and lauren - what a doll - lent me her extras .

 25.	If you are pulled on a ride, have the good graces to say thank you
 to the vet & ride management.  It isn't their fault that it happened.  ...and
please don't criticize the rider who pulls a horse for reasons of their own
and tell them they should have dragged their hors ein. Encouragement is good,
but at one ide where I had to pull one of our horses - it was just... a gut
feeling. He wouldn't move, no clinical signs of distress, but...I just had a
feeling. He was fine after a day of rest and I never did relaly know what
stoppe dhim in his tracks 3 miles form the finish, and I NEVER regretted
pulling him, but a number of people said I should have just dragged him in,
poked him, etc., and that he was a wimp and so was I. That wasn't
encouragement. But he is a valuable stallion and a precious member of our
family and so I never regretted it. It is important for us to encourage
newbies to RIDE WELL and know when their horse has had enough, regardless of
the reason - or the consequesnces in the ide.
Oh, off to car pool!

---- Begin included message ----
Here are some of the basics of trail etiquette that I have tried to
abide by over the years.  I'm sure I'll forget something, so add on if
you think of others.

1.	Leave room between you & the horse in front.  Don't crowd without
permission.

2.	Enter a stream crossing downstream of drinking horses - don't muddy
the waters.

3.	Drink from the edges of puddles - nobody cares for the muddy dregs
there, either.

[...]

11.	Remember that the first person off the starting line is not
necessarily the first person to cross the finish!  Don't be pushy at the
start.

12.	If a vet has to stop and treat an animal, be considerate.  The rider
of the horse being treated didn't try to "ruin your race", and the vet
is doing the best she can until more help arrives.

13.	When sponging, if the water sources have been designated "Sponge"
and "Drink", please respect that.

14.	If you have extra and somebody else has none of "XX", share!

15.	If you borrow "XX", say thanks and offer to return or replace it.

17.	If you see "leftover" personal hay, ask before you let your horse
snarf it up.  Those folks may be counting on more horses to come thru to
their crewing area.

18.	If you want to pass on the trail, call out to the next rider
"Passing on your left/right please."  If the trail is too narrow,
announce your intentions to pass at the next reasonable spot.  Don't
grumble because that person up front is <so> darned slow.

19.	If you have a green, beginner horse, mark him in green so that
others can give him some lee way as he learns the ropes.  If he is also
a kicking stallion, you may end up looking like a christmas tree!  :-)

20.	Dogs stay on a leash & under their owners' control.  This means
everyone!  Yes, even if Pooky is well behaved.  Yes, even if he is
<your> dog.

21.	At registration, try to have all your papers together and fill them
out to one side so that the ride manager can work with the next person
in line.

22.	If your horse "warms up" out of an aberrant gait, please do the warm
up before you present for intial the vet in.  We don't want to wait
while you circle for twenty minutes in front of 3 vets, waiting to see
if he improves.  Of course, we might start a pool to see how long <you>
last trotting out there!

23.	If a rider is down off their horse, ask if everything is ok before
blasting past.

24.	If a rider/horse is hurt, determine what help they need.  Either
offer first aid, or if a person is already doing that, get word to ride
management ASAP.  Encourage them to stay put so they can be found.

25.	If you are pulled on a ride, have the good graces to say thank you
to the vet & ride management.  It isn't their fault that it happened.

26.	If you require vet or farrier care, be prepared to pay for it.  Not
everybody brings cash on the trail for a thrown shoe, but you should
follow up on it at the first opportunity.  The vet and farrier didn't
volunteer to spend their day there, and their supplies are expensive.

27.	Have fun!

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV