Re: RC: sportsmanship

Several years ago we were doing a ride down in the tropics of South FL and the
group I was ridding with came onto a stream where a woman was trying to water
her stallion.  She pulled the stallion away and let us in to water.  There
were four in our group.  I waited for the other three to water since one of
them was also a stallion and my mare was in heat.  Well you got it the other
three took off.  The woman on the stallion that first moved made some comment
of disbelief.  I watered Misty and moved down stream to sponge while she
watered and sponged her stallion.  I told her not to worry that it was a hot
day and the time we "waisted" taking care of our horses would pay off in the
end.  Well we caught the three rude riders on the next loop and finished about
45 minutes ahead of them.

One of the first things I try to teach my horses is to drink no matter what.
We practice horses coming and going while we drink.  I also teach my horses to
move their butts around on que to block rude riders that try to squeeze others
out at the watering hole.  If that fails to work I just turn around and say
"the last person that tried to push my horse aside got kicked into next week
and is still trying to figure out which area code he/she woke up in - a fate
well deserved."   That seems to work.  While most riders are considerate,
there are always a few jerks on the trail.

Truman

--
Truman Prevatt
Brooksville, FL

Mystic "The Horse from Hell" Storm with one on the way
Rocket a.k.a. Mr. Misty
Jordy a.k.a. Bridger (when he is good)
Danson Flame - Hot Dog I'm healed and ready to go.

http://www.mrsl.com