Re: RC: Riding with Loose Horses (was HELP)

> <<<<<snip> Hi Devony - Am I correct in understanding you go riding in a
> horse pasture with other horses in it?  I know this will not be of much
> help to you, but my suggestion is that if you are riding in such a horse
> pasture, the first thing you do is stop!  I mean, you couldn't get me to do
> that in my own herd unless I was riding a very dominant member - say, the
> lead mare! <end snip>>>>>
> <<<<<snip> I REALLY concur with what Lif just said.  It is extremly
> dangerous in ALMOST (caps mine)  all cases, to ride with loose horses
> around you. <end snip>>>>>
>
>         If I couldn't ride with loose horses in my pastures, I'd NEVER have the
> time to get horses ready for my favorite LD (Long Distance) competition – 3
> Day 100's.  HOWEVER, it's not WHAT you do, it's HOW you do it, IMHO.

Hi Barbara,

Glad you posted this! I ride with pasture horses off and on, and you are
right that this can be safe.

At one stable that I boarded at (100+ horses), we HAD to ride through a
herd pasture to get to any trails... the main 25 acre pasture housed
10-12 horses, and the hilly back pasture housed another 15-30.

We never even thought about it, just chased the curious interlopers off.
Many people rode through the pasture daily, and no one ever got hurt. To
make it even more "dangerous", we went right through the middle of the
feeding area.

Like anything else, you need to be savvy. Humans have herded loose
horses on horseback for centuries...

My horses **Love** the chance to actually herd the others!!! This is a
huge kick for them, because whoever gets to carry the human becomes the
unchallenged Alpha horse! "I'M the Boss!!!"

  -- Linda, Gilroy CA

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-