Fwd: ideas for ride managers

Hey all;

I sent this before and got only ONE response (thanks Deena) but it was about
the time all hell broke loose about LD again.  So I'm wondering if no one
liked the ideas or if it got swept aside during the umpteenth *discussion* of
what limited distance is, isn't, should be or was.  I'd really like some
feedback.

Melanie in AZ

While day dreaming the other day, I thought of two great (IMHO) ideas for ride
managers to possibly implement.  The first is to have at the ride check-in
area a board with a list of all the riders and pertinent information.  The way
this would be different from most other lists would be that the rider would be
issued a number (maybe their ride number) that could be a large poster paper
or hard plastic that could be displayed on their tow vehicle or trailer.
Anyone at the ride wanting to ascertain whether so-and-so was at this ride AND
locate him/her would be able to do so.  It occurred to me as I day dreamed
that I had been at many rides with fascinating riders that I had heard about
but didn't know and didn't find out until the awards meeting when everyone was
about to go home.

This has another advantage in that if an emergency message had to be gotten to
someone in camp there would be increased chance in finding them in less time.
You would still have to scour camp but anyone new to the scene could be found
in less time than it takes to ask every person you know if they know so-and-
so.  Also, the people who are away from their campsites could have a message
put on their vehicle.  As you can see, lots of possibilities.

If not too expensive, the hard plastic could have a small magnet glued on so
it could stick to drivers side door or side of trailer.  If not then it could
be put on dashboard.  These could be returned at end of ride to avoid
purchasing/making them every year.  Turn in your placard or you don't get your
completion award!

The second idea is an extension of the first.  Announce in your ride entry
form that the entrant may bring tack, trailer and/or horse to this ride to
sell, trade or whatever.  No one other than the entrant may bring extra stuff
as basecamp could get too crowded.  This same list mentioned above could have
space for items listed for sale/trade.  Not individual items listed only broad
categories such as horse, saddle, trailer, etc.  I'm not looking to make the
ride manager or secretary's life any more hectic than it already is!  But this
would make it easier for people to find each other.

So, what do you 'campers think.  I'd love to have feedback as I would like to
be involved in putting on a ride again someday.

Melanie in AZ

---- Begin included message ----

---- Begin included message ----

---- End included message ----