Re: RC: Feeding the Endurance Horse

 My understanding is that her >Competitive>trail rides are around 25km in
length, however Queensland is avery>humid place, so when she says warm,
the temperature was probably up>around 30 degrees celcius  - which I
think converts to around 90
>degrees>farenheight.

I've done many a ride where the horse hadn't drank yet at that point.

 >Also, how do you make a horse drink?

Keep your water in camp free of hay.  If hay's been in it for awhile
don't just clean out the hay, get new water.

Use your head.  Horses don't like muddy water as much as clear.  If
there's a puddle off to the side of the road they'll drink better than
one that other horses have muddied while walking through.

My horse prefers mudholes over streams.  I think he likes the warmer
water.

Don't ride with large groups, or if you do, be in the front.  If you're
5th in line and everyone else looks like they're leaving before you get
to the water your horse won't drink even if they are waiting for you.

Don't sponge while he's drinking.

Turn him facing back down the trail to stop that urge to "go on".

Drop your bit as you come into camp so that if he happens to stop at a
bucket he won't catch his reins or shanks.

Let him drink out of any bucket he stops at.  If the person gets upset
they're a newbie and need to learn the ropes anyway.

Try to travel with another horse who drinks well.

Sponge, sponge, sponge...on the fly during the race, not just when you
stop.  Anything that he doesn't sweat out doesn't have to be replaced.

Fill muck buckets to the TOP so that his eye level doesn't have to go far
down into the bucket.

If he's traveling with a particular horse it's good if you can put your
things next to the horse he's traveling with.  He'll relax better.  It's
even better if the whole bunch stops at a group trough as you enter the
check.  Once he gets to his hay he'll probably be more interested in food
than water.

I give a dose of electrolytes right before the race, but unlike some
people I don't give much the night before.  It seems to interfere a
little with his appetite.

If it's really cold, I have warmed water in a coffee pot to dump into the
water bucket to knock the chill off.

I've read the advise about the electrolytes with interest.  I've been
pretty conservative with electrolytes but lately have come to the
conclusion that for me more is better.  I give them before the ride, then
1 or 2 film cannisters at practically every vet check.  It's humid here
in the Southeast.  I don't know about triggering thirst etc.  Kaboot
seems to drink when he gets the raciness out of him and settles into his
pace.  I considering adding Maalox since I've heard of some successful
riders doing that to avoid stomach upset.  Anybody want to weigh in on
that one?

Angie

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]