Feeding the Endurance Horse

Title: Feeding the Endurance Horse

Hi,

I came across this letter in this months Australian Arabian Horse News.

*****

Original Letter is by S. Clinghan, Moorina, QLD.

'Just recently my little Part Arabian gelding died of colic.  He had just completed a Competitive Trail Ride, it was a fairly warm day and he, unfortunately, did not drink as he should have.  He raced to every puddle on track, but would not drink.  Consequently, the food in his bowel compacted and with no incoming fluids to keep the gut working, it closed down.

This is most distressing for the animal, not to mention the owners and people assisting at the time.  I am therefre requesting that of the vets that has input into this magazine, or your team writers, or someone who knows, write an article on the correct way to feed your horse before and after an event, what to look for eg: high heart rate, scouring or tender tummies.  I learnt so much from the vets who worked on my horse all through the night, but really needed that information before I rode out the day before.

I hope you can run a comprehensive article in the near future, as the weather is warming up and horses lose more fluids than most of us realise.  Armed with the correct information, it may save some other horses and owners from going through the stress and devastation of losing a precious mate.'

******

Ok, as a complete novice, I'd like to be forewarned, can those of you who are more experienced please tell me what sort of feeding regime this person would be referring to?  My understanding is that her Competitive trail rides are around 25km in length, however Queensland is a very humid place, so when she says warm, the temperature was probably up around 30 degrees celcius  - which I think converts to around 90 degrees farenheight.  Also, how do you make a horse drink?  Would the best thing to do be to pull the horse once you feel its not drinking enough or are there other methods?

Lisa