Cruppers and breaching....

I'd like to find out peoples experiences with cruppers and breaching
(think that's what it's called), and keeping saddles in place on horses
built downhill.

I'm working a super nice mare that is a flat lander moved to hilly
California. She can be extremely fast on the flats and uphills, but
because she's build downhill, the saddle slips forward badly when the
hills get really steep.

I'm doing a lot of gymnastic work with her to improve how she moves down
hill... she was very heavy on her forehand, pounding the snot out of her
front legs. After a few months of collected work (and some recent
massage and chiropractic work), she sits back on her butt, drops her
croup, rounds her back and lifts her chest and forehand. She now walks
and jogs lightly down moderately steep slopes, keeping her back fairly
level. But when we get to the killer down hills? I have to dismount and
walk down, because the saddle slides forward and the crupper gets so
tight that it hurts her.

Her shoulders and withers have developed quite a bit (she's 12, I think)
and because I'm working with her to raise her forehand and really round
up in front, they may eventually hold the saddle in place, but until
then I'm wondering about using breaching harness like is used with
mules... it could be a hazard for endurance, but if it would hold the
saddle in place, it may be worth trying.

Anyone had success with this? Or any other suggestions?

Linda, Gilroy CA

--

"When you think you're through changing, you're through..."