Re: Limited Distance

I just re-subscribed to ridecamp so that I could add my 2 cents worth to the
discussion of Limited Distance rides. I hope I am not repeating things that
have already been written.  The problem with the Limited Distance program as
it now exists has been created by AERC and will not soon disappear.
  I did my 1st endurance ride in 1987 (although I had been doing CTR for many
years prior to that).  The LD ride was strictly considered a training ride and
any awards were drawn out of a hat and given to the finishers.  It is my
understanding that LD rides were created to be training rides....NOT races.
However when I went to my next endurance ride with my current horse in l992,
things had really changed.  LD was a race with the first horse across the
finish line with a pulse of 60 winning.  I know that this "precaution" was
instituted to keep LD riders from racing....however, just because a horse
recovers quickly doesn't mean he has the base on him to run a fast 25 without
risking serious metabolic or physical damage.  The cardiovascular system
develops faster then the others (bone, tendons, ligaments..etc.)...so the 60
recovery in my opinion is merely a band-aid solution. I see so many wonderful
horses raced in LD that will never get the chance to become great endurance
horses because they were not given the chance to develop the base produced by
YEARS of LSD miles....not months.

 I was under the assumption that LD was designed to be a training ride to
develop endurance horses....eg.. for young horses, horses returning from an
injury, or for people who for some reason find it physically impossible to do
an endurance ride.  I'm sorry, but IMHO...if you are completing LD rides (25
miles) in less than 4 hours and your horse has all A's & B's on the vet score
then you are ready to move up to endurance.  Other than that you are strictly
creating 25 mile race horses.....not endurance horses.

 As far as deserving recognition....Karen is right....you will get recognition
for completing (or winning, or top-tenning) an endurance ride when you do one.
The biggest problem I have seen comes from the need for "instant
gratification" that is so prevalent in our society today.  It took me 5 years
to earn any recognition from AERC because I was developing a successful 100
mile horse and this can't be done by "winning" 25 mile races.

 The National LD program is nothing more than a trailer race....500 miles of
LD in ONE YEAR!!....Well I certainly think her truck and trailer deserve the
award for most miles traveled!  However, I do have a suggestion that I would
like to propose that might make everyone happy (well not EVERYONE...some
people are NEVER happy).  I would like to see awards given for LD rides based
strictly on BC score.  It would eliminate the "racing" on LD rides and then
the "winners" would truly have something to be proud of.  And I'm sure that
all endurance riders would be willing to congratulate you on a job well done
if you won BC on a LD ride.  LD would then truly be a learning experience for
new riders, because they would learn how to rate their horses and learn what
it takes to finish a ride with a horse in great condition.  Those riders who
want to race would then move up to the 50's where it takes more conditioning
to successfully race.  Yes, I do know that there are also abuses in the 50's
(that's why I rarely do a 50....I only do 100s unless the 50 is close to home
and then it's strictly a training ride).

 Kerry had mentioned the survey done by AERC last year.  That survey was
directed at Limited Distance Riders....I did not respond, as I have never (nor
probably will ever) do a LD ride.  We have a wonderful CTR organization in
Florida and IMHO a horse benefits much more from receiving a base of LSD miles
in CTR then LD.  I feel the results of that survey would have been much
different if it had been directed at endurance riders; asking for their
opinion of the LD program.  Personally I would prefer that the input only came
from riders with over 5,000 miles....They have the knowledge and experience to
provide valuable insight as to how to develop an endurance horse.

 I am grateful for the fact that I became involved in this sport years ago. I
feel that the riders just being introduced to the sport today are not getting
properly educated on what it takes to develop a true endurance horse.

 Cindy Bell
 Wameco
 Southeast Region:  1st overall  1998
 1st National 100 mile Championship  1998