The benefits (to me) of arguments

I've only been subscribing for a month or so, but I have to admit that I've
learned a lot here.  The last kefuffle over LD's maybe did go on a bit long,
but I would like to thank all of you who laid your egos and computer
keyboards on the line.  We're still utterly unorganised and all the
discussion did give me a number of ideas for when we get organised.
Our first ride is a 25 mile CTR for the purpose of introducing the concept
of discipline and training to our people who will hopefully flock to the
banner of endurance. (As I type I have images of myself and a couple of
friends wondering where everyone is on ride day! <G>)   I think that the
idea of noting completions and withdrawals is a good one, and wouldn't mind
seeing something along those lines.  We, having only a VERY limited ride,
will be noting finishes and BC and will probably continue to do so for a
while....who knows when Egypt will be ready for a 50 mile ride much less a
100.  We have to work against a serious cowboy mentality here where there is
a traditional approx 30 km hell-for-leather gallop held each year without
benefit of vets or anything....mind you, 99.9% of our CTR participants don't
even know about this race that is run by the farmers around Dahshur.
(Cultural aside: these are guys who live in mud brick houses and most can't
read or write...and wouldn't understand the SPCA if it came and bit them)
Everyone competing at our CTR will pay the same fee...hopefully, they'll
have the chance to join the ELDO (Egyptian Long Distance Organisation) at
the time, and get some kind of deal on the next ride.  But we will have our
own special organisation problems I'm sure.  I just, truly and in total
sincerity, want to thank people who are willing to mix it up over ideas on
list so that I can learn more.

Yeah, so maybe my delete finger got a workout, but not until I'd checked out
the message.
Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt
gabbani@starnet.com.eg