Limited Distance

>never mentioned, the "completions" were called off in random order, and
>when other riders asked who finished first, the ride management wouldn't
>even tell them, saying "It dosen't matter per AERC rules there are no
>placings in LD".

And that is in the best interest of the horses.  Believe it or not, a group
of people with a fair amount of intelligence set up AERC.  And those people
did not consider 25 miles to be an endurance ride.

>Come on folks, lighten up!  Although I plan on moving to the 50's when I'm
>ready, the survey AERC took last year clearly showed a number of riders
>will by choice never move up.  They will be career LD riders and have
>every reason to be proud of their accomplishments -- deserving the same
>recognition as the other distances.   Last weekend really drove home to me
>the disrespect LD riders are given.

That is no excuse for AERC to promote limited distance rides as
"races".  The whole point of "to finish is to win" is that the rider be
proud of their accomplishment, no matter what the distance.  If you truly
understand what that means then you would not give a damn what anybody else
thinks.

That is what separates true distance riders from those that think they
want/deserve recognition for only riding 25 or 30 miles.  Until you feel
your own sense of accomplishment and self worth and perceive completing a
ride as meaningful---that working as a team with your horse to complete a
ride is what is important then you will never get it.  Other riders do not
generally respect somebody for winning a limited distance ride.  It is not
respect that will be earned, most likely it will cause others to look down
at you and shake their heads in disgust.   Somebody riding 25 miles does
not deserve the same recognition as somebody riding 100 miles.  Currently
AERC is giving more regional recognition to Limited Distance riders than to
100 mile riders--WHO should be complaining????

>Despite the  work by the Committes on LD last year, it actually appears
>that you went backwards, by discontinuing listing placements and
>times.  Don't get my wrong, I'm not asking for prizes -- only
>acknowledgement of the placings -- dosen't cost the AERC money.  Can
>anybody enlighten me why this happened???

Why does it matter where you placed?  Limited Distance is not an endurance
race.  It was not designed that way and should not ever turn into
such.  What is the point of bragging about winning a limited distance ride
when many of the entrants are there for a various number of reasons...a
place to start new horses, young horses and for those that can't for
physical reasons ride farther.  Limited distance (by definition) is NOT
ENDURANCE......"Winning" a 25 is NOT building an endurance horse....but
rather teaching a horse to go fast for short distances.....NOT conducive to
producing a successful endurance horse that will be successful for many
years and miles to come.

Sorry if this comes across as snotty or condescending, I really don't mean
for it to ;>).

Happy Trails,

Karen
in NV