LD

From: Kerry
Email: kdykes@hotmail.com

I've followed the thread on Fees with interest and saw a couple of somewhat dismissive comments about LD's not being "endurance".  I guess this horse has been beat to death, but I can't resist......

I started endurance last year, competing in 3 LD rides with my QH.  We finished very well in all rides, and I was proud to see our placements creep up in the  ride results.

Last weekend I competed in a LD ride with my Arabian, his first event.   I didn't expect  to going into the event but we placed first, leading from start to finish.  Now I realize "to complete is to win", but you must understand it was a little disappointing when there was absolutely no recognition of his placing.   It was never mentioned, the "completions" were called off in random order, and when other riders asked who finished first, the ride management wouldn't even tell them, saying "It dosen't matter per AERC rules there are no placings in LD".

Come on folks, lighten up!  Although I plan on moving to the 50's when I'm ready, the survey AERC took last year clearly showed a number of riders will by choice never move up.  They will be career LD riders and have every reason to be proud of their accomplishments -- deserving the same recognition as the other distances.   Last weekend really drove home to me the disrespect LD riders are given.

Despite the  work by the Committes on LD last year, it actually appears that you went backwards, by discontinuing listing placements and times.  Don't get my wrong, I'm not asking for prizes -- only acknowledgement of the placings -- dosen't cost the AERC money.  Can anybody enlighten me why this happened???