Re: Running Martingales

DVeritas@aol.com wrote:

>     I believe martingales, draw reins and other "gimmicks" have no business
> being used on "well-trained" horses.
>     That said, how many TRULY well-trained horses are out there doing
> endurance, hunter or whatever.

I have green horses right now that you can jump on and they will bend
and give to the bit, without the use of any gimmicks. I just simply
teach them to give from the beginning. After that it is just a matter of
being consistent and lots of practice.

>     A truly well-trained horse is a product of YEARS.
>     How many of us are willing to invest years in the production of a lifelong
> companion, capable of taking us safely and effectively where we want to go?
>     For most, shortcuts are taken.  Which shortcut is acceptable to one rider
> may or may not be acceptable to another.

There are no shortcuts to a truly well-trained horse.

>     My wife and I argue about this constantly.  I maintain (even in Dressage,
> or maybe especially in Dressage) that most of us don't practice what we
> preach.

Speak for yourself.

>     In dressage the snaffle is lauded for young and inexperienced horses...but
> it seems to me the horse will eventually reach the point of SEVERELY tightened
> cavessons, and double bridles.  Why?
>     If the horse is truly trained well, why not remain in a mild snaffle bit
> with no cavesson?

Who says that a mild snaffle bit is the way to go on any horse. Some
horse hate the snaffle and ride better with something else. Every horse
is individual and should be treated as such. I would have a hard time
with any discipline that said that I had to ride with a certain piece of
equipment that did not work with my horse. When I go out riding, I want
my horse to enjoy the ride as much as I do. I do not want him to run the
other way when he see me coming. If he does then he is not comfortable
with me riding him and I want to figure out why.

>     I know, I know...."high school" movements require the collection and
> captivity of forward energy to elicit the spectacular and wonderful light
> movement of the advanced horse.
>     Maybe.  Maybe not.
>     In each equestrian endeavor I have explored, a certain level of
> "hypocrisy" exists.
>     Know your horse...know how much time and money you can invest...know your
> limitations and ride accordingly.
>     Life is short, filled with risk.  Choose your's wisely.

Life is even shorter for horses, so why not make them as comfortable as
possible and take the time and money to work towards a well trained
happy horse.

Lynette