Re: Running Martingales

    I believe martingales, draw reins and other "gimmicks" have no business
being used on "well-trained" horses.
    That said, how many TRULY well-trained horses are out there doing
endurance, hunter or whatever.
    A truly well-trained horse is a product of YEARS.
    How many of us are willing to invest years in the production of a lifelong
companion, capable of taking us safely and effectively where we want to go?
    For most, shortcuts are taken.  Which shortcut is acceptable to one rider
may or may not be acceptable to another.
    My wife and I argue about this constantly.  I maintain (even in Dressage,
or maybe especially in Dressage) that most of us don't practice what we
preach.
    In dressage the snaffle is lauded for young and inexperienced horses...but
it seems to me the horse will eventually reach the point of SEVERELY tightened
cavessons, and double bridles.  Why?
    If the horse is truly trained well, why not remain in a mild snaffle bit
with no cavesson?
    I know, I know...."high school" movements require the collection and
captivity of forward energy to elicit the spectacular and wonderful light
movement of the advanced horse.
    Maybe.  Maybe not.
    In each equestrian endeavor I have explored, a certain level of
"hypocrisy" exists.
    Know your horse...know how much time and money you can invest...know your
limitations and ride accordingly.
    Life is short, filled with risk.  Choose your's wisely.

    Frank.