conditioning advice

From: Dede
Email: scottj@cyberlynk,com

Hello!  I have decided to try my hand at endurance riding.  My horse is a Standardbred that paces, and is a big part of why I want to try this sport.  She just goes and goes on the trail.  I've read the handbook and found it very helpful for a beginner.  I have a question about conditioning.  I have not ridden much the last few months (1-2 times per month).  I started her out about 2 weeks ago at just a slow pace, about 2 miles (going roughly 6 mph).  She was not breathing hard at all, so today we rode between 4-5 miles at just a hair faster.  I took her heart rate and it was only 68.  10 minutes later it was down to 40.  To get her heart rate up more should I increase my speed or distance (or both)?  Most of my riding is done in a plowed field and this spring I will trailer to places with hills.  Thanks for any advice.  My email is scottj@cyberlynk.com