Re: Running Martingales (long)

Ezerideer@aol.com wrote:

> I live with running martingales and they are there as is my kimberwick when I
> need it. I have never had an accident with one. I have been using one for to
> many years to count!!

Never, say never when it comes to horses. Because that is about the time
they will prove you wrong.

And the fact that running martingales can get you and your horse into
trouble is just one of the point that Heidi was trying to make. A very
important question is why the martingale or tie-down is there in the
first place. I think that we all agree that a horse throws its head, or
sticks his nose out is because it is avoiding the bit. So if your horse
is avoiding the bit, then you need to think why? One reason could be
discomfort or pain. Take a snaffle bit for instance. When you pull back
on the reins the snaffle bit (esp. if the bit is too big for the horse,
which is common in Arabs) will hit the roof of the mouth and pinch the
tongue. Now it is just common sense that if you hit the roof of the
mouth, the head will go up. Some horses don't mind tongue pressure from
the curb and will respond to it and some horse hate it and will try and
avoid it. So instead of finding a bit that our horse is comfortable with
and fits them well like we do with the saddle, we stick on martingales
and tie-downs and make the poor horse endure the discomfort and pain.
Then we wonder why our horses won't listen to you. Do you listen very
well when you are uncomfortable?

Another reason is that avoidance is all the horse knows. When he was
trained he never learned how to give to the bit, so he avoids it. If
that is the case, then I would suggest that if you do not know how to
train the horse to give to the bit then you take him to a trainer who
does and then you go and get riding lessons. Because getting a horse to
be supple and give to your hands takes more then having soft hands, it
takes learning balance with the wrist, arms, seat, legs and even your
head. If your horse is avoiding the bit find out why instead of just
putting on more equipment and making him or her endure it.

The only time that I use tie downs is when I have my kids on a horse
that knows how to get the bit away from the kid and take off. I will put
the tie down on the horse loose enough so he can't get his nose up as a
safety measure for the child, but I will them teach the child how to
ride, with good hands, seat and balance. Once the child learns how to
ride, the tie down comes off.

So if you need to have a running martingale on your horse, instead of
saying I need it, start asking yourself why you need it. The answers
might surprise you.

Lynette,
with her finger over her idiot (delete) button. If Cheryl can have one
so can I.  :-)