Running martingales, low heels, etc.

I was always taught that a piece of equipment like a running martingale was
only a substitute for lack of (or poor) training.   I like to use as little
amount of equipment as possible.  When you do a lot of rides crewless,
having extra junk on your horse like martingales, breastcollars, cruppers,
etc. just make it more difficult if you have to pull tack at vet checks,
etc.  So that alone warrants the additional work spent on the necessary
training to keep from needing a martingale.

I have used a running martingale on Rocky in the past.  He loves to toss
his head.  It has nothing to do with having a rider on his back, as this is
just something that he 'does'.  Thru training and a lot of patience, I have
finally been able to get rid of his martingale (and thus, the breastcollar
as well).  I still would, however, have no problem putting it back on him,
say - if he were to have another rider on him that wasn't able to work him
thru the head tossing.  It is a lot of work to constantly communicate with
a horse for 50 miles.

*****

>As an example, all of our horses have very low heels. The bulbs are touching
>the ground (as they naturally should). Our toes run 3 to 3.75 inches  long,
>toe length and heel length match.  If we had our normal heel and 4 to 4.75
>inch toes we would have serious troubles.

I agree with Bob here...my horses both have similarly shod feet (to Bob's
horses).
A while back I asked the same question on RC - just how long are most
endurance horses heels?  I got quite a few of you to go out and actually
measure for me!  Then, I started really looking at horses at the rides I
was going to.  Most specifically, I was interested in looking at the high
mileage horses.  A horse won't stay sound over 1,000 miles in a season if
it isn't being shod properly (and to its conformation).  Just an
interesting note - but if you ever get to spend much time working at a vet
check - take a look at the horses feet that are getting pulled for
lameness.  You'll learn a lot.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville