Re: Running Martingales

In a message dated 1/9/99 3:02:44 AM Pacific Standard Time, Cyberpony@aol.com
writes:

<< This is my theory on running martingales.  They are like seat belts and
riding
 helmets.  They don't do much until you need them.  But if you need them you
 are glad that you have them in place.

Well, I e-mailed Sue privately, and said I wouldn't get into this discussion,
but have you ever seen a horse get his martingale hung up on a tree limb?  I
have.  Have you ever seen a rider get his own foot hung up in a martingale
after a nasty spook?  I have.  Nope, these are not safety items, they are
training crutches.  Yes, I have used one, and it was discarded as soon as the
horse in question got the message--if memory serves me right, we used it for
about 2 months.  The problem horse had learned the vice of sticking his nose
straight in the air to intentionally avoid contact with the snaffle when he
wanted to do something different.  The martingale taught him that that didn't
work, and he quit it.  He went on to become one of the safest horses I have
ever owned or ridden.  At the risk of being blunt, if you think a martingale
is a safety instrument, I would highly suggest riding lessons--preferably
dressage--for both you and your horse so that correct use of the hands becomes
reflex, even when everything goes gunnybag.

Heidi