Re: Running Martingales

I guess I had never thought of the safety issue with martingales but I have to
agree with Heidi that they should be a training device until the horse gets the
message.  (Come on, Angie, it isn't really a "me, too" if I elaborate my
experience, is it?).
I used a martingale on my Arab to teach him some collection AND help keep his nose
out of the heavens!  He eventually settled down and then later (after we started
endurance and he gets impatient) started some head tossing.  I used a tie down for
a while which I know many frown upon but when I got the fat lip on my birthday
that hurt like bejabbers because his head and my mouth connected as I leaned into
a gallop...well, for awhile that was to save HIM from me killing him!  I put the
martingale back on him for awhile (a reminder), we have since switched to a
sidepull and so far I have not seen any sign of head tossing or nose in the air
stuff!  I hope he continues to appreciate the sidepull enough to keep his head
where it belongs... I think part of it was his dislike of the mechanical hackamore
I was using... I try not to use a bit because he had an old injury in the side of
his mouth....big scar there when I bought him which may be what contributes to
this problem.  Anyway, my sister used a martingale on her Walker for a few months
and the horse is now so used to riding collected, she doesn't need it
anymore...it's really pretty to see her move now.  Anyway, sort of my two cents
worth...martingales have a purpose and can be useful when used for the right
reasons.
Maggie