Fwd: Oat and Alfalfa Hay

In a message dated 1/8/99 12:56:04 PM EST, helgeson@lansford.ndak.net writes:

<< Again, here in North Dakota, oat hay is considered a cattle feed, people
 would not feed oat hay over good brome grass hay to their horses. Anyone
 who was feeding oat hay to a horse would be looked down upon by other
 horse people. So there is definitely a difference on horses are feed
 around the country. You know I always though that horses had picky
 systems about what they were fed, but this goes to show that horses can
 survive quite well on a very varied and different diet. They are tougher
 then I thought. >>

I have been enjoying the conversation re: oat hay.  I began feeding oat hay
because we can grow it and descent alfalfa hay is not to be found locally.  I
feed oat hay and alfalfa cubes to my pregnant mares the last 3 months of
pregnancy. Our pastures are all fescue.  As far as I know, we were the first
to feed oat hay in our area.  I checked with the vet school first and they
advised me how to grow and harvest for horses.  My horses love it for sure,
not one bit left when they are done with it.  From what I've been able to
gather, oat and alfalfa work out well together.  Is this true in relation to
the calcium/phos ratio?  This has been hard for me to gather information
about.  Many horsemen are "converts" now that we gave them one bale of oat to
try. Their horses told them how much they enjoyed it!
Leigh SE

---- Begin included message ----
Again, here in North Dakota, oat hay is considered a cattle feed, people
would not feed oat hay over good brome grass hay to their horses. Anyone
who was feeding oat hay to a horse would be looked down upon by other
horse people. So there is definitely a difference on horses are feed
around the country. You know I always though that horses had picky
systems about what they were fed, but this goes to show that horses can
survive quite well on a very varied and different diet. They are tougher
then I thought.

Lynette
Ps to Maureen, what is happening on the tv this morning?

---- End included message ----