Endurance Prospect(s) "Conformation/Paddling & Medical Considerations"

Dear Ridecampers,

I have been earnestly looking for a youngster - endurance prospect - for
some time now. I have passed up "several" colts, geldings and fillies/mares
due to conformation and/or medical problems. My decisions were based upon a
combination of consultations with my vet, the somewhat limited knowledge I
have, and just good old "gut" feelings.

I just recently found a young gelding - name's Baskin, he's 3 coming 4 -
that I believe will "fill the bill" and eventually replace my steed/Classy.
However; recent posts about "paddling" now has me in a quandry. What is
"paddling?" Baskin's feet are very nice and round but he is low heeled in
the front. It doesn't appear to interfere with his movement - travels
straight/true - and doesn't appear to put too much of a slant on his
pasterns, but we haven't gotten past the vet check yet. We're still
negotiating price.

I have never had a horse with low heels but have known and ridden with
several people over the years that had horses with low heels. However,
they/the horses were not used for endurance. Is this a potential problem,
and again, what is paddling?

I would appreciate your advice and counsel.

Ruth Abair and Classy in NE Texas

application/ms-tnef