Fwd: fitting a saddle to a young horse

In a message dated 1/7/99 4:29:10 AM EST, Fadaar@aol.com writes:

<< I personally use a Boz saddle that has a flexible tree.  Not only does this
 saddle fit ANY horse, but it also moves with the horse while he is moving.
 Just because a saddle might fit a horse when he is standing, doesn't mean it
 feels good taking corners at an extended trot.  Good luck,

Had to get in on this one!  I also have a Boz saddle and I really do love it.
very comfortable and secure for me, BUT, it does not fit any horse.  The
advertising on it is deceptive!  I have a horse that cannot wear this saddle
and I didn't understand why until I brought the horse and saddle to a very
well respected saddle maker and fitter locally.  He showed me how the tree was
inflexable!  The tree is made of hard plastic, not rubber, and it does not
flex where you can tell it.  If it flexes at all, it cannot be detected.  I
still like my saddle and the saddle maker made shims so that my horse could
wear it fairly comfortably, but I'd never do a 50 on this horse with this
saddle.  It simply does not fit her well enough.  I've used the saddle for
several horses over the years and its fit all but this one.  The saddle maker
told me that the only "one size fits all" saddle is the treeless type.
Leigh

---- Begin included message ----
I personally use a Boz saddle that has a flexible tree.  Not only does this
saddle fit ANY horse, but it also moves with the horse while he is moving.
Just because a saddle might fit a horse when he is standing, doesn't mean it
feels good taking corners at an extended trot.  Good luck,

Rita

---- End included message ----