Re: fitting a saddle to a young horse

In a message dated 1/6/99 9:36:57 PM Pacific Standard Time, laneyh@mbay.net
writes:

<< I agree that some back shapes are really hard to fit but why do you think
 that a badly conformed back will change more than a well built back?  And
 why wouldn't the change still be fairly predictable from the original shape
 of the back, good or bad? >>

A well-built back may well change, but it will still be able to carry a
majority of saddles with no problem.  Because it is normally-conformed, any
changes will likely still yield a back that is "normal", hence still able to
utilize a majority of saddles.  On the other hand, a horse with a weak back
that takes one sort of special saddle may add muscle or change shape so
drastically that it needs an entirely different special saddle. Also, abnormal
backs tend to have more motion under the saddle (especially overly long backs
and/or weak loins, which are the most common flaws we see in our endurance
horses), hence more chance for problems, and that motion may change when the
back changes.  It's just that the changes in poor backs are so drastic and the
fact that the fit problems may change that is such a hassle...

Heidi