Re: yellow snow...?

wood.cameron@acd.net writes:

<< I have not
 stood out in the cold long enough to watch them all urinate to see which
 horse is staining the snow orange, or even if the fresh urine is this color
 (would it turn orange later?) >>

Yes, it can change color, and it may just be concentrated.  Have seen this a
lot in the snow, and have never been able to link it to problems.  Would
caution to provide somewhat warmish water at least a couple of times a day to
encourage drinking.  I am always amazed how quickly the horses learn in the
cold what time of day you provide the water--I have 22 mares and youngsters in
two pastures served by one big tank, and when we were subzero, it only took
one filling of the tank (our water comes out of the ground at about 60
degrees, so is "warm" by subzero standards) for them to figure out that this
would occur at feeding time.  Until the cold broke, they dutifully lined up
twice a day at the tank, took their turns, and all got a nice warm drink.
(Thanks, hubby, sure is nice to be able to fill that big tank in cold weather
by just turning a handle--no more hoses to drain out there!)

Heidi