Using Carbs

I have been reading the posts about the use of Carbo Charge and have decided
to weigh in on the subject.  Now, first of all, these are MY experiences - I
do not profess to be a expert on carbo loading in anyway, shape or form!

I have used Carbo Charge on two rides - both were one day 100s.   The first
ride was the Swanton Pacific 100.  My protocol was: I pre-loaded 2ozs the
night before, gave 2ozs before the start and 2oz at each vet check.  My
observations were:
	 Flikka had tons of energy all throughout the ride
	 She ate very well at each opportunity,
	 Her recoveries were slower than normal.

Now, as this was my first time to use carbo loading I did not attribute any
of the above totally to the use of Carbo Charge (she had won and BC'd
several rides up to that point). Flikka always eats well, but her recoveries
have never been slow, hmmmm.

The second use of Carbo Charge was at the Oregon 100.  My protocol was the
same as before.  The findings were the same as before.  Lots of consistent
energy, eating very well, but VERY slow recoveries!  Flikka normally
recovers in one or two minutes to a 60 pulse criteria, it was taking her 5
to 6 minutes to recover to criteria, YIKES!

I spoke with another front running rider at the Oregon 100 who experienced
the same problem with the use of Carbo Charge as I did (she had used it at 3
rides).  I decided that more research was warranted before I used it again
at a ride.

I spoke with Roger Rittenhouse (thanks Roger!) after the Oregon 100 about
how the carbo loading seemed to raise dramatically raise Flikka's recovery
times.  Roger did give me some good protocols to follow next time.  (I have
not tried them yet, did not think the WEC was the place to experiment!)

What Roger recommended was DO NOT pre-load, and use the Carbo Charge as a
glycogen replacement during the ride. (For example 1 oz at 25 miles IF you
have been going hard, etc.)  Now, that made sense to me and I plan to
experiment this spring at a couple of 50s.

I think that I noticed a greater difference in recovery time between the
Swanton Pacific and the Oregon 100 because of the varying difficulty of the
rides.  The Swanton is very tough - lots of mountains to go up and down, and
the Oregon 100 is very flat and has exceptionally good footing.  Flikka was
working much harder at the Swanton than the Oregon 100, consequently she did
not use/need all of the extra carbs I was dumping into her.

By the way, I did not use the Carbo Charge in Dubai and Flikka's recoveries
were their normal speedy selves.

Bottom line, at least for me, I think that using a carbo loading product can
perhaps help your horse.  Just need to find the right protocol for each
individual.

Wendy Merendini
& Fire Mt. Flikka