Re: pain relief (Re: ridecamp-d Digest V99 #25)

In a message dated 1/6/99 8:36:27 PM Pacific Standard Time, maphh@cowland.com
writes:

<< Are there any alternatives to Bute?  If not aspirin, what about Naproxin (?
 spelling, I'm not near my medicine cabinet/medical dictionary). Or is there
 any other drugs, etc that one can substitute for Bute when it IS medically
 needed?  All the vets in this area always prescribe Bute, never anything
 else.  Just wondering..... >>

If one MUST use a drug, the two that I think are the best are bute and
Banamine.  I prefer bute for biomechanical problems and Banamine for problems
like tie-ups and colics.  But qualify that with everything I have said in my
problem!  And if there is a problem, there should be an appropriate layoff,
regardless of the withdrawal time of the drug!

Heidi