Re: Carbo loading products

Tivers@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/4/99 1:31:19 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> suendavid@worldnet.att.net writes:
>
> <<  However, carbo products seem to be very beneficial during
>  the ride itself to maintain glucose levels.  The trick is to maintain
>  glucose without overdoing it and getting an insulin rebound effect.  >>
>
> Two ounces every two hours is working for about a dozen endurance riders
> who've reported back. That coincides with the typical glucose curve of a
> working horse. The non working horse will peak at about two hours, but the
> working horse peaks somewhere between 1 1/2 and 2 hours--after that, you're on
> the downside of the curve and the animal starts to lose firepower.

Yes, that's what I've been hearing from a number of riders, the amount
varying somewhat with the individual.

> Remember, insulin is not Public Enemy Number One. This very useful hormone
> pushes blood glucose into muscle cells as glycogen--fast fuel. It, along with
> Insulin-like Growth Factor is responsible for fast muscle repair and lean
> muscle mass accretion. To be sure, concentrated high glycemic index
> carbohydrates are going to stimulate the production of insulin--but that's the
> whole idea--instant muscle fuel, starting within 15 minutes of ingestion.

I think it potentially becomes a problem because as it pushes glycogen
into the cells, it's also going to affect fuel dependency, switching the
reliance from fatty acids to glycogen.  I think steady, long term energy
is more important to the distance horse than fast energy (unless your
horse has hit the wall, in which case you have bigger problems).
Keeping the pilot light lit is critical, but you're also not getting the
job done if you only pay attention to the pilot light and lose sight of
the primary fuel source, fats.

> Good, Sue, you've been out in the field checking things out.  What works is
> real--all we need now is to tighten the protocol and discover any necessary
> adjustments for individual horses. Kat has really been helpful there.

I'll go pick her brain---I'm trying to develop a protocol to track
glucose, fluid and electrolyte balance and plasma volume on some horses
on the treadmill to nail down some data, now just to find the funding
(as usual.)

Susan G