Re: Carbo loading products

suendavid@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< I think it potentially becomes a problem because as it pushes glycogen
 into the cells, it's also going to affect fuel dependency, switching the
 reliance from fatty acids to glycogen.  I think steady, long term energy
 is more important to the distance horse than fast energy (unless your
 horse has hit the wall, in which case you have bigger problems).
 Keeping the pilot light lit is critical, but you're also not getting the
 job done if you only pay attention to the pilot light and lose sight of
 the primary fuel source, fats. >>

Ah, now that's the error of your ways. You're entirely correct about the fuel-
preference switchover. But that's what you want. Immediately available,
relatively cost-free (metabolically) energy. This is precisely why you see an
improvement in performance. Glycogen is not a pilot light--it's rocket fuel.

If you can keep up a steady supply of nice clean high octane gasoline, why try
to feed your racing machine smokey old diesel? Of course, given the case where
you can't feed anything during a ride, then you want to spend some time tuning
your horse's muscles to rely on fat--takes about three weeks. And then make
sure the horse is carrying enough fat in adipose tissue to finish the race.
That would be the intelligent approach under those circumstances.

But those aren't the circumstances. An endurance ride is not 50 or 100
straight miles with no access to nutrition until the finish. It's a series of
relatively short "intervals". A whole different proposition. Note that human
marathoners are in an even worse situation--they keep running until the race
is over--but still they grab cups full of sports drinks all along the way.
They sure aren't interested in running on fat.

When I get back I'll have to look up some papers on the negatives of relying
on fat as a primary fuel--ketosis is just the tip of the iceberg.

Has anyone here ever gone on a no-carb diet to lose weight? A long time ago
there was the "Stillman's Quick Weight Loss" diet that was basically protein
and water. Man could you lose fat on it. And you could die on it. Fat is a
backup energy source for survival under near starvation circumstances. While
it is possible to tune your body toward burning fat by limiting carbohyrate
intake and loading with fat, it's a far more upsetting approach than simply
providing the carbs necessary for athletic competition.

I'll look up my "lipids" papers when I get back.

ti