Sheath Swelling

I have a 11 yr. 1/2 Arab gelding that has developed a problem with sheath
swelling.  The vets in my area feel that it is due to a circulatory problem
brought on by the lack of winter riding.  We have done extensive antibiotic
treatments and sheath cleanings.  In mid-September, I basically stopped
conditioning and was pleasure trailriding until late November.  This condition
showed up mid-November.  There is no swelling in the back legs or anywhere
else.  Has anyone else had a problem similar to this?  My vet feels the
swelling has went down enough to prevent tissue damage until we can get back
to spring and consistent excersie to determine if it really is a circulatory
problem.  I would be interested in hearing other situations like this.