RE: why AERC needs to review its financial structure

This whole issue has gotten more complicated than I think it needs to be..
 I think that adults pay $xx and 2nd adult, same addr. pays $1/2x; juniors
pay $10-15.  If juniors can't come up with that amount of money through
sponsorship/allowance/extra job aka babysitting or house cleaning or
petsitting, etc., then, I must conclude that they are not ready for the
responsibility of caring for a horse.  I say this as a mother who did not
work outside the home and felt that my children must be responsible for
their interests-whether it coincided with my interests or not.  My 3
children, by the way, are adults who don't live at home and all are
starting families.  My 4 grandchildren (soon to be 6) will likely be raised
in the same way..  My oldest grandson who is now almost 7 began riding
gymkhana as a 5 yr. old and earned his $10 membership fee for the club by
helping to do chores at my house!  He also was "paid" a few dollars to help
our neighbor work in her garden!  This, in addition to feeding his horse
and helping to clean her stall.  Alex was so pleased with himself and I
could hardly stand the pride I had in his accomplishments.  (I don't mind
helping with entry fees but belonging to an association is a once a year
type of fee.  I also believe that kids are never too young to be aware that
an animal has needs that must be met by a responsible owner.)

On the topic of trail advocacy, I believe that each member should be given
the option of donating to a special trails preservation fund set up by AERC
as a part of the annual budget for the association.  IF you don't care to
donate to said fund, you need to be active in person.

Best wishes,
Vickie Smith