FW: ridecamp-d Digest V99 #4

Cindy-
	Having just read your post...  I am now having NIGHTMARES in the middle of
the day!!!   :-)))   I just did a ride in Ontario last Spring.  The people
were nice. The area was nice.  BUT, the marking turned out to be my WORST
experience ever.  I have done many many trail rides at all different paces.
 This ride started out to be a little faster than I had planned.  After two
loops, I finally got my mare to go a more reasonable pace.  After getting
out of the "pack,"  I was really beginning to enjoy the experience.
 Suddenly, I wasn't sure which way to go..  oops.  I am usually very good
at following different types of trail markings too.  Oh well, go a little
further and I'll see a ribbon...  Yeah right!  I saw a gazillion ribbons in
different colors!  (To explain a little further, the trail criss-crosses
itself, parallels itself, etc.)  I suddenly found myself at the water stop
for the 2nd/4th loop.  Well I knew I was in the wrong place but at least
these people would put back on the correct trail.  WRONG.  They had no idea
where they were and only knew how to get to the main road..  FINALLY, I got
to the water stop for the 1st/3rd loop (now abandoned) and followed the
ribbons (correctly this time) to complete the 3rd loop!  Hurrah!  Everyone
was about to try to figure out where I might have been "kidnapped" or
whatever!  (My husband really panicked due to the fact that I am diabetic
and he thought that might have caused a problem.)  Anyway, that 3rd loop
should have been about a 12 miler and I KNOW we covered a minimum of 30
miles.  Well, I wasn't allowed to continue and didn't finish...  (We sure
could have walked that last loop and still been under 12hrs-due to the
extreme speed of the 1st and 2nd loops!)  If I do another ride in Ontario,
I'm bringing bread crumbs!!!  Lots of them......  (Maybe a tracking dog to
find the camp at least. -vbg-)

Best wishes,
Vickie Smith

PS  I also know all about getting the "proper" paperwork to go into Canada
with a horse now!  If I had only realized before committing to do this ride
just what kind of adventure I was in for.....  On the other hand, now that
I know how to get there and really have a "feel" for your method of trail
marking, next time should be EASY, right?